2 large garlic cloves
3 small sprigs fresh thyme, or 1 teaspoon dried
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
Pinch of cayenne pepper
2 1/2 to 3 pounds chicken pieces
Salt (optional) and freshly ground black pepper to taste
2 teaspoons ground cumin, preferably freshly ground
- Juice the lemons.
- Crush the garlic cloves.
- Break the fresh thyme sprigs into pieces.
- In a shallow baking dish large enough to hold the chicken, mix 1/4 cup lemon juice, garlic, thyme, oil, oregano, 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, and cayenne.
- Put the chicken in the dish and turn pieces over to coat all sides with marinade.
- Cover and marinate the chicken in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours or overnight.Turn the chicken in the marinade from time to time.
- Remove the chicken from the marinade, removing any pieces of thyme or garlic stuck to chicken.Discard marinade.
- Sprinkle chicken with salt, freshly ground pepper, and cumin on both sides.
- Prepare your barbecue for indirect heat.
- Heat charcoal barbecue until the coals are glowing; or heat gas barbecue to medium.
- Set chicken on rack about 4 to 6 inches above heat source.
- Grill breast pieces for 20 minutes per side, and leg and thigh pieces for 30 minutes per side, or until thickest part of meat near bone is no longer pink