Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 16, 2015

Illness and Perspective

When my nephew had appendicitis recently I was reminded of one of the many problems with having a life threatening illness.  That is that you lose a little perspective on the fact that more minor illnesses can be quite debilitating, and that it is important not to discount that if you are to remain engaged with your fellow humans.

I remember when my youngest son was getting chemotherapy and I was an active member of an online support group.  One mother was going on relentlessly about how her neighbor was losing sleep over an upcoming sports competition for her daughter, and how trivial it all was, didn't she realize that other people had children fighting for their lives?  Well, yes, I thought, but I used to be that mother.  I would sweat the small stuff too, and it seemed very important to me.  Don't lose hold of that former self while you are going through much more serious things.  The picture my sister-in-law texted me of my nephew prior to his surgery, with him lying in bed looking perfectly miserable, reminded me that all illness, big and small, impacts us, and to remain sympathetic to it is very important.

No comments:

Post a Comment