Search This Blog

Thursday, December 29, 2016

Homemade Life Update

This was my year to get back on the crafting horse, and it worked out pretty well in the end.  It has been a year and half since I thought it would be a good idea to try to make quilts again, and I spent several months working on planning my first quilt in many years.  Then I was diagnosed with cancer, had a very rocky course of chemotherapy that involved almost as many unplanned admissions to the hospital as planned ones, and I did not make any more progress on that goal, no surprise there, than to start to embroider pillow cases again.  Considering, that was probably pretty good--I did give my immediate family a pillow case that I had embroidered for the holidays last year, but that was all I managed.  I got chemotherapy the week after Christmas, and by New Years Eve I was terribly sick in the intensive care unit.  Then came the spring.  I finished the hardest part of chemo, and I started taking a couple of classes at my local sewing shop, starting very slowly with a napkin making class.  It was just what I needed.  I have made literally dozens of napkins since, enough to  give lost of people home made ones, and I have finished four quilts, have one that I am quilting now, and I also made ten really cool market bags, a very impressive case to carry my sewing supplies to classes in, and have a couple of other projects enough under way that I feel sure that I will finish them.  Even better, I set up a place to sew that works for me, and made doing all of this pleasurable.  So I have big hopes for 2017.

No comments:

Post a Comment