Search This Blog

Friday, July 1, 2016

A History of Art in Africa by Monica Visona

I do not have much in the way of experience with the study of art.  In fact, my only experience is that I have been reading the course material for two art history courses out loud to my auditory learner.  I also have not had a longitudinal interest in the art of Africa, but this book really changed that.  The breadth and depth of the art in Western Africa, which is largely wood carving and painting, but included bead work and textiles, is both fascinating and beautiful,  The color reproductions in the book are well done, and the text is understandable to a non-art history reader.  Through the reading, I gained a better understanding of the cultural context and meaning of art from Africa. 

No comments:

Post a Comment