Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 16, 2017

Koshare Kachinas

I got completely thrown off my goal of posting art this year.  In my defense, the rate at which the government has sought to enrich those who supported their election and not the people who they theoretically represent has been even more staggeringly awful than I at first anticipated, and secondly, I spent the entire month of February watching movies that were nominated for Academy Awards and that was an immersion in art of a sort (and I highly recommend it.  I had never done it before, but will try to do it again).
So here I am starting up again.
My youngest son has been taking an American Indian art history course, and since I read everything to him, I have been learning too.  The only Native American art that I had previously had knowledge of is the West Coast tribes, so the end of the semester has been a bit easier for me to follow.  I have always loved the Hopi Kachinas, but did not really understand what they represented.  The Kachina doll is a sacred object, and to make one is to pray to the spirit world.  This kachina is Koshare, which is the clown or trickster.  Like Enki for the Summerians, or Eshu for the Yorumba.  Koshare is represented at ceremonies, passing through the crowd and pointing out the foibles.

No comments:

Post a Comment