Search This Blog

Saturday, October 8, 2016

James Beard Dinner Experience

I had never been to an actual James Beard dinner, but was privileged to do so last weekend in Kansas City.  It was a wonderful experience of being around all sorts of people who love food and who support the ever burgeoning fine food movement in the United States.  My friends at Green Dirt Farm were serving their wonderful cheese during the appetizer portion of the evening and it was spectacular.  The display of cheeses amongst artisanal charcuterie from the Midwest, dried fruits, nuts, and pickled vegetables was the best appetizer out there.  Competing with them was Howard Hannah's sardine appetizer and the cocktails prepared by the Rieger, with wonderful flavor and balance.  The meal itself was very good and prepared with an eye towards feeding 300 guests all at once in a venue that was used primarily for catering rather than as a restaurant.  The first course and the dessert were cold dishes, and the second course was served at room temperature.  The advantage being that only the main course had to be served hot, and so the entire focus could be on that.  I think it is very smart, and if I am ever in a position to serve a large fancy meal at my place, I am going to remember this.  We food was delicious, and the evening was a lot of fun.  I would certainly attend another and I do very much support the work that the foundation is doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment