- 1 1/2 lb. eggplant cut into small cubes
- Salt to taste
- 3 to 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, as needed
- 2 large garlic cloves minced
- 1 ½ pounds tomatoes chopped
- 1 teaspoon honey
- Freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons pomegranate molasses
- 1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
2 to 3
tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley, or a combination of mint and parsley
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil over medium heat in a large, heavy lidded casserole or skillet. Add the garlic. Cook just until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the eggplant and cook until softening, adding a bit of water if the pan starts to brown. Stir in the tomatoes, salt to taste, sugar and pepper. Bring to a simmer, and simmer uncovered over medium heat for 10 to 15 minutes, stirring often, until the tomatoes have cooked down and smell very fragrant.
- Add the pomegranite molasses and chickpeas. Cover and simmer for another 20 to 30 minutes, stirring from time to time. The mixture should be thick and the eggplant should be very tender, melting into the mixture. Taste and adjust seasoning. Sprinkle on the parsley and/or mint, and serve. Alternately, allow to cool and serve warm or at room temperature.