That means it is time to add winter squash to the dinner menu. I love delicata because in a lot of ways it is the least fussy. You don't have to peel it, it cooks quickly, and in this case, you get hot and sweet tones. Reduce the maple syrup if you want to focus more on the heat.
- 1 1/2 pounds Delicata squash, halved lengthwise, seeded, and cut into 1/4-inch thick slices
- 1 red onion, halved lengthwise and cut into 1/2-inch rings
- 5 garlic cloves, peeled and smashed
- 4 fresh thyme sprigs
- 1/2 teaspoon red-pepper flakes
- 1-2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons maple syrup
- Kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
Spread vegetables evenly onto two large, rimmed baking sheets. Bake the squash on the upper and lower racks of the oven, tossing, rotating, and switching the pan positions half way through cooking, until tender and browned, 25 to 30 minutes. Taste and season again with more salt and pepper, if desired.